Momenteel online
We hebben 9 gasten online
Nu bezoek uit ...

Engels

This site informs the residents of Desselgem, a village in West-Flanders, Belgium, Europe. Desselgem has approximately 5000 inhabitants. Since 1973, it is fused with ‘Beveren-Leie’ and ‘Sint-Eloois-Vijve’ to ‘Waregem’.

The name of this village near the river ‘Leie’ transformed through time from "Thasseldinghehem". This means : ‘the home of the people of Thraswald’. This Frankish farmer settled beside the fertile bank of the ‘Leie’.

In the year 964 the abbey of Saint Peter in Ghent got “Desselgem and surrounding areas” from the Flemish count ‘Arnulf de Grote’ as a present. The Benedictine monks organised their administrative centre in the former farm of Thraswald, which from then on was called ‘Munkenhof’ (court of the monks). The history of Desselgem from the 10th century can be followed in the archives of the abbey in Ghent. The eldest taxpapers of Desselgem date back to 1260 and 1285.

Remarkable is the excentric position of the centre of the village, in the north-west. This is easy to declare: because of conflicts between the monks and the medieval judge (meier) of Desselgem, the church was placed halfway the Munkenhof and the house of the judge.

In early times the village was a community of farmers. They worked at home. The crisis of the 19th century did also reach this region. The coming of the flax-industry required much manpower and saved the region. The positioning of the village near the river ‘Leie’ and the extensive borders of the river (‘Leiekant’) were in favour of this industry. The water of the Leie had the specific capacity of loosening the fibers from the stem. Flax was placed in the river for a while; in these days the river was called ‘the golden river’. Later on this process was imitated in small factories where flax was placed in huge bassins (called roterijen). Around 1960, the flax-industry was on its return. In Desselgem other industrial branches arised.

The link ‘Desselgem in beeld’ on the left leads to a few pictures of the village now and in the past. You can contact us at Dit e-mailadres is beschermd tegen spambots. U heeft Javascript nodig om het te kunnen zien. .

Thanks for your visit!

 
Kalender